My Family Tree

Here you can post a link to your HuMo-genealogy website and look at other websites.
bsward

My Family Tree

Post by bsward »

Hi,

I have just started creating my site - the first draft can be found at http://www.skliar-ward.com/. All the Tree pages are created using a modified version of Humo-Gen v4.8.4.

I'm posting here to say thanks for a great tool! Extremely impressed by the Individuals pages and support for sources (which I read is even better in the latest version?!).

A couple of suggestions which I think would make it even better:
  • 1) More configurability - being able to add and remove pages (like statistics, relationship calculator) without having to edit the core files would be really helpful. Being able to
    2) Simpler styling - I think I managed to achieve what I want eventually but I think the CSS is a bit messy. e.g. it would be really helpful to have a div containing top and content but not the sides.
    3) Not that important - but a detailed change log between versions so it is easier to see what has changed. I have had to modify a few core files and knowing what has changed between versions would help with keeping those changes.
Thanks again for the best Gedcom to website tool available (and it's free)!

Ben
Last edited by bsward on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 23:27, edited 3 times in total.
Huub
HuMo-genealogy programmer

Re: My Family Tree

Post by Huub »

Hello Ben,

Welcome at the forum!

I like your website, you made a very nice theme!

About your remarks:
1) More configurability - being able to add and remove pages (like statistics, relationship calculator) without having to edit the core files would be really helpful.
It's a bit difficult: a lot of users want completely different things and different lay-outs. I allready tried a flexible menu, but it was too complicated.
2) Simpler styling - I think I managed to achieve what I want eventually but I think the CSS is a bit messy. e.g. it would be really helpful to have a div containing top and content but not the sides.
The CSS is a little bit messy, because it allready changed a few times in the past...

3) Not that important - but a detailed change log between versions so it is easier to see what has changed. I have had to modify a few core files and knowing what has changed between versions would help with keeping those changes.
The version history can be found in the forum: viewforum.php?f=19.
Maybe you can use a program like "Winmerge" to see differences between files...

In the latest HuMo-gen versions, there is an automatic updater, which gives a list of changed files (if the update is started).
:arrow: HuMo-genealogy update? Backup your database! Editing in HuMo-genealogy? Backup your data!
Make multiple backups with: PHPMyAdmin, gedcom export and database export.

HuMo-genealogy software: http://humo-gen.com
bsward

Post by bsward »

Thanks for your reply :) - I also quite like the theme! Honestly though, it is not entirely mine. My website uses Drupal and an amended version of the Simple Corporate Drupal theme. http://drupal.org/project/corporate I have applied the same theme to the Humo-gen tree pages, though obviously completely re-written to work with humo-gen's unusual CSS!

I think there could be some easy configuration to add - not letting users add/remove primary menus, but letting them add/remove links on the secondary menus should not be that difficult and would not need any changes to the css.

Anyway, as I said in my first post, thanks for a really really useful tool!

Ben
yosibeck

Post by yosibeck »

Huub, Ben,

I had another look at the configuration request.
In fact the situation now is such:
  • In the "family tree" main menu tab, 4 items can already be hidden in admin: places, photo album, addesses and sources.
  • In the "tools" main menu tab, 1 item can already be hidden: anniversary.
To make both main tabs fully configurable, that means only the following submenus had to be added to the configuration possibilities:
  • In "family tree" two more submenus: Persons and Names
  • In "tools" 5 more submenus: Statistics, Relationship calculator, Google map, Contact and Latest changes
So I went at that and I think the result is quite satisfactory.
The admin "group" screen now looks like this (in my case):
menuconfig.png
menuconfig.png (60.71 KiB) Viewed 7626 times
If non of the items in "Tools" are displayed, the "Tools" main tab is not shown.
(The "Family tree" main tab is always shown since the submenu "Family tree index" is not made configurable.)
The new database entries for the humo_groups table are created when not present.

Here are the altered files (from the 1 jan work version).
They are zipped because php files won't upload.
menu.php (main humogen folder)
settings_user.php (include folder)
group.php (admin/include folder)
menu_config.zip
(11.9 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
Hope I didn't overlook anything (probably did.... :geek: )
Yossi
HuMo-gen international site: https://humogen.com
Personal genealogy website: https://beck.org.il/humogen
Huub

Post by Huub »

Yossi,

That looks very good! I added this in the workversion. Thank you!

I only added a " character after "Photobook" :D
:arrow: HuMo-genealogy update? Backup your database! Editing in HuMo-genealogy? Backup your data!
Make multiple backups with: PHPMyAdmin, gedcom export and database export.

HuMo-genealogy software: http://humo-gen.com
bsward

Post by bsward »

Thanks Yosibeck, Huub - I have not yet applied the update but will do so this weekend!

Looks like it does exactly what I need :)

Ben
bsward

Post by bsward »

I have finally had a chance to test this patch (and upgrade to 487) and it works very well :)

Thanks,

Ben