Idea for CMS/Info pages

If you've programmed a new HuMo-genealogy feature (that you'd like to see included in the official version), please upload and describe your work here.
colin

Idea for CMS/Info pages

Post by colin »

Huub,

Just an idea for a modification to the CMS pages, but appreciate it's a little bit of work involved. (I tried doing it by modifying the section titles to include the css, js & divs in the entries in the db, but it doesn't work when done that way).

I have a lot of info pages, broken into sections with a text only line above each section. However, the number of pages & sections is growing, and the basic 'list' format is getting rather long (and thus a bit uglier & need to do a lot of scrolling to find a page).

Thought is to have each 'section' collapsable - just the section titles showing, and pressing on a '+' or similar on the section title expands it, turning the '+' to a '-', and pressing that collapses it again.

e.g.
Section 1. +
Section 2. +
Section 3. +

press the 'Section 1. +' expands it to

Section 1. -
Page 1
Page 2
page 3
Section 2. +
Section 3. +

The actual css & js is pretty simple - but obviously takes a while to implement & test properly, and make sure the <div> & </div> tags appear in the correct locations.

Colin
Huub
HuMo-genealogy programmer
HuMo-genealogy programmer

Re: Idea for CMS/Info pages

Post by Huub »

Colin,

I see I didn't respond yet...

It is possible to create sections (I did make them at another personal website).

But: several users don't click these links! In the editor pages I'm removing [+] links, beause it's better to see the lines.
Users didn't notice the extra editor options behind the [+] buttons...

In the family pages I have a report button to see all the reports, some visitors didn't notice all the options, and were missing the reports.

So I'm careful now with [+] links, and still looking for solutions to improve this.
HuMo-genealogy update? Backup your database! Editing in HuMo-genealogy? Backup your data!
Make multiple backups with: PHPMyAdmin, gedcom export and database export.

HuMo-genealogy software: http://humo-gen.com
colin

Re: Idea for CMS/Info pages

Post by colin »

Thanks for getting back to me. I've been busy at work lately so haven't looked at the forum (or anything else) for a few weeks.
Understand where you're coming from - lots of people don't 'notice' things like collapsible sections - but they do help keep a page 'tidy'. I've heaps of extra pages of family history, and the ability to collapse into sections would tidy it up a lot.
Perhaps something other than a '+' that is larger & more obvious may make it easier for people to appreciate it's a collapsed section - not sure what could be used though (perhaps some sort of image with pop-up text saying press to expand.

Colin